Re: disabling services: update-rc.d vs. /etc/default/<package>

also sprach Tilman Koschnick <lists@subnetz.org> [2004.12.28.1453 +0100]:
> Pro /etc/default/<package>:
> - There is one single location where the behaviour is configured, and
> the user can either edit /etc/default/<package> or use debconf.

one single location per package.

If you want my opinion, then it is time to implement a proper policy
layer for init.d scripts. We have policy-rc.d already in use by
invoke-rc.d, so unless there is a reason why to keep two separate
policies for dpkg and the administrator, we should just use it.

I am thinking about making the policy layer mandatory to prevent
invoking init.d scripts directly, if the policy forbids it.
A package installing an init.d script would then also register
itself with the policy layer and effect the init.d script to be
disabled.

Anyway, this is news from the future. I have started working on this
stuff, so if anyone is interested, contact me (but I won't respond
until the end of January).

For your case, Tilman, I suggest following what others are doing and
use /etc/default, which has become more or less a default on Debian.

`. `'`