Re: pkg-classifier appliance

vegetax <vegeta.z@gmail.com> wrote:

> Frank Küster wrote:
>
>> First of all, I don't understand the package description. The README
>> file gives some more insight in what it might be, but the package
>> description should be sufficient for an admin to decide whether to
>> install it.
>
> I think you are right about this.

Then you'd better rephrase the description.

> can you please try it before you asume too much from the example?

Can you please describe better what it does ;-)? And no, I won't try a
package that installs arbitrary data into the root filesystem. And I
don't know Python, so I can't use the script to understand what it
does.

> the same
> information i listedin the samples could be gathered in 10 differentes
> ways, but i think the mine is easier, even for experienced users.

It has also the overhead of creating a hell lot of directories and
symlinks.

>> Second, please have a look at your rules file. It's full of unnecessary
>> cruft, do you know what "CFLAGS" are?
>
> I know, is just that i am new to make and C and its CFlags so i didnt
> cleaned up the rules file yet, i am still experimenting.

But you requested it to be uploaded? You'd better put it in shape
first. This list is for such requests, and usually provides a lot of
help. But you can't expect that your first tries will end up in the
archive.

>> Third, please read the Debian Policy and the Filesystem Hierarchy
>> Standard and find a suitable place for your data. /programFiles is
>> certainly *not* acceptable.
>
> Yep, but it is just a convinience location for new users to discover it.And
> to not type a long path to locate things fast.

No, it is not "convenient". Have you read the FHS?

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Inst. f. Biochemie der Univ. Zürich