Re: warning: menu-command-not-in-package

On Mon 13 Dec 04, 12:10 PM, Brian Nelson <pyro@debian.org> said:
> On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 02:55:28PM -0500, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > My first package is ALMOST lintian clean.  One warning:
> >
> >    $ lintian -i yadex_1.7.0-1_i386.deb
> >    W: yadex: menu-command-not-in-package /usr/lib/menu/yadex:2
> >    x-terminal-emulator
> >    N:
> >    N:   The menu item specifies a command which is not available in the
> >    N:   package. In most cases this is a typo or after you moved a binary
> >    N:   around, but forgot to update the menu file.
> >    N:
> >
> > My debian/yadex.menu file:
> >
> >    ?package(yadex): needs="x11" section="Games/Arcade" title="yadex" \
> >            hints="Doom,3D" command="x-terminal-emulator -e /usr/games/yadex"
>
> Why not just do command="/usr/games/yadex"?

The way Yadex (a Doom WAD editor) starts is kind of wierd.  You start it from
a terminal, but when you want to edit a WAD file:

   1. In the terminal you type "e whatever" to edit a level
   2. Yadex uses xlib to put up its own x11 Window in which you graphically
      edit a WAD's level.

I'm trying to think of another program that does this to give as an example,
and I'm drawing a blank.  In any event, you have to start the program in any
kind of terminal, and then to do anything even slightly useful, it spawns its
own specialized x11 window.

Very different from a "normal" x11 program which immediately spawns its own
window when you run the executable.

> > My package provides /usr/games/yadex, depends on "xterm |
> > x-terminal-emulator", so everything should be fine.  Those are the only two
> > commands in the menu file.  So what exactly is lintian talking about?
>
> Lintian isn't always right.  It's probably a false positive.

I think you may be right.  I just found another (unrelated) false positive in
lintian two days ago which I reported to the lintian maintainers.

> > On a related note, xterm provides "x-terminal-emulator", so is:
> >
> >    Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, xterm | x-terminal-emulator
> >
> > redundant?  Would it be better to pare this down to:
> >
> >    Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, x-terminal-emulator
>
> No.  You should always provide a default for a virtual package, like you
> did the first time.

Cool.  Thanks!

> For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

Don't tell my wife that!   ;-)

Pete