Re: daemon users' $HOMEs?

martin f krafft [u] wrote on 10/10/2004 19:33:
also sprach Sven Mueller <sm+debian@leogic.com> [2004.10.10.1928 +0200]:

/var/run/ircd, sshd uses /var/run/sshd. However hacluster
(heartbeat) uses /tmp. /tmp is also the recommended home directory
for system users on Mandrake and Redhat IIRC.

Call me strange, but something about /tmp strikes me as
inappropriate. It won't matter in this case, I guess, but still...

I know what you mean. If the daemon doesn't expect it's homedirectory to be /tmp, there might be exploitable race-conditions.

If the daemon doesn't have any run-time data which would belong in /var/lib or /var/spool, I would say use /tmp.

nobody has /nonexistent... maybe that's better then as it makes the
claim explicit.

You've certainly got a point there.

Anyway, Sven, this is about your package spampd, and I suggested
/nonexistant. Better make that =~ s/a/e/ for consistency...

I know you where talking about my package, but I wanted this to turn into a discussion a bit more generic.

cu,
sven

--