Re: Bug# 238314 RFS: siefs - virtual fs for accessing Siemens mobiles

On Sun, Oct 10, 2004 at 05:06:10PM +0200, Mathias Weidner wrote:
> I'm looking for a sponsor to help me get this package into debian.
>
> Package name     : siefs
> Version          : 0.2
> Upstream Author  : Dmitry Zakharov <dmitry-z@mail.ru>
> URL              : http://mirror01.iptelecom.net.ua/~dmitry_z/siefs/
> License          : GPL
> Description      : virtual filesystem for accessing memory of Siemens mobiles
> Long Description :
>  SieFS is a virtual filesystem for accessing Siemens mobile phones
>  memory (flexmem or MultiMediaCard). It's possible to mount your
>  phone (by datacable or IRDA) and work with it like with any other
>  removable storage.
>
> The files are at
> http://weidner.in-bad-schmiedeberg.de/computer/linux/debian/siefs/download/
>
> This would close Bug# 238314 filed by Bartosz Fenski.
>
> I contacted Bartosz Fenski as he had packaged siefs by himself. Since
> he does not have the time "to make this package as good as it should
> be", he allowed me to "hijack" the package.

Hello Mathias. First of all thanks for taking care of siefs.

> At the moment there are a few warnings provided by lintian:
>
> $ lintian siefs_0.2-1_i386.changes
> W: siefs source: configure-generated-file-in-source config.log
> W: siefs source: configure-generated-file-in-source config.status
> W: siefs source: configure-generated-file-in-source config.cache
>
> The mentioned files are in the upstream source and I'm uncertain
> whether to remove the files, ignore the warning or do something else
> about this. Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks for taking your time,

Do you know that there is newer version available?
http://mirror01.iptelecom.net.ua/~dmitry_z/siefs/

It's 0.4 version and it fixes some bugs and supports some new phones, so
you certainly should start from that source.

Second thing. As you said I don't have time to make this package as good as
it should be, but you didn't make it either ;)

As far as I looked to similar packages, all filesystems have to provide
some mount.<name_of_filesystem> binaries.
Take a look at shfs or smbfs if you need examples.

Also there is problem with vmo2wav binary. It also exists in obexftp
package. So I suppose there are three ways of fixing it:

1) make your package conflict with obexftp
2) ask obexftp's maintainer to remove vmo2wav binary from his package
   in fact "our" (that from siefs) binary is better, it has some output
   messages and seems to be more up2date.
3) ask obexftp's maintainer to remove vmo2wav binary and create two binary
   packages from siefs -> siefs & vmo2wav. Then obexftp's maintainer could
   set obexftp dependant on vmo2wav.

regards
fEnIo

--
      _      Bartosz Fenski | mailto:fenio@o2.pl | pgp:0x13fefc40 | IRC:fEnIo
    _|_|_     32-050 Skawina - Glowackiego 3/15 - w. malopolskie - Polska