Re: RFS: spampd - a SpamAssassin based SMTP/LMTP scanning proxy daemon

This one time, at band camp, martin f krafft said:
> also sprach Stephen Gran <sgran@debian.org> [2004.10.02.2156 +0200]:
> > Does postfix not have something like exim's routers?(I really am
> > asking - I don't know postfix well).  I was under the impression
> > that one of the strengths of it's modularity was that you could
> > plug extra pieces in in the middle of a routing chain for stuff
> > just like this.
>
> Postfix is a MTA, not a MDA. And no, postfix does not know routers.
> You can chain filters, but not after the user has been determined.
> This is on purpose as it's the domain of mail delivery agents such
> as procmail. Remember the UNIX philosophy? Phil Hazel doesn't...

I think that's oversimplifying a bit - if postfix can plug in things
like A/V scanners or content filters, then it's more than "just an MTA"
at this point too.  I don't know if you need amavis or something to do
this with postfix, but I was under the impression that it could do it
natively, with the filter= stuff, or at least I was under the impression
that it could from sites like http://regions.rgs.ru/dist/postfix/  I
realize it's using external helper programs, but so so do all MTA's -
exim doesn't have spamassassin built in, just hooks to it's API.

If it can write to the mail spool, whether that's in /var/spool/mail or
$HOME, than it is also certainly an MDA, just a limited one.  I have
never personally seen the advantage of dissociating the MDA from the
MTA, myself.  I tend to think it's a holdover from sendmail's
limitations, and people have gotten under the impression that it's a
strength rather than a weakness.

I mean, it can already filter early in the email processing (or early
enough to 5xx at smtp time, so I hear), and it can deliver, so why can't
it filter just before delivery?  Doesn't seem like a violation of the
design philosophy, so much as an unimplemented possibility of the design.

Getting OT into that 'My MTA is better hung' flamewar, though, which I
don't want to have, and I don't want to argue with you, Martin - chalk
it up to a long day and some tall beer :)

Peace,
|   ,''`.					     Stephen Gran |
|  : :' :					 sgran@debian.org |
|  `. `'			Debian user, admin, and developer |
|    `-					    http://www.debian.org |