Re: RFS: fbgrab - Framebuffer grabber

Hello Stephan!

Nice to hear some word from you. :)

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 03:35:06PM +0200, Stephan Beyer wrote:
> I wondered why Gunnar Monell changed 1.0b1 to 1.0.
> The only change from 1.0b1 to 1.0 is a correction in the manpage, funny.
> [...]

True, that's the only change. Well, due to the not-so-extensive (read:
absent) upstream changelog I can't say anything else about this.

> By the way, there is a similar package by Maciek Swiderski (sfires),
> called 'fbshot': http://www.sfires.net/fbshot/
> On freshmeat it got more hits than fbgrab, maybe it is better. I can't
> say, because I don't use framebuffer anymore.

According to what I read the author doesn't trust his program to work
properly on anything else but i386, but he isn't sure about that. I
just skimmed over it, so I cannot say either...

Furthermore fbgrab is able to convert dumps made via a simple
"cp /dev/fb0 framebuffer.dump" which fbshot can't.

> Both, fbgrab and fbshot, are based on fbshot that I coded when I
> had my first experiences in C (so it was terrible code). Perhaps that's
> why I reply to this mail ;)

So thanks for providing the base both programs developed from. :)

Cheers,
Flo