Re: RFS: cc65 - Cross development suite for 65xxx processors

On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 02:46:10PM -0600, Benjamin Cutler wrote:

> | I'll have a look at this package this weekend, and if everything is ok,
> | I'll sponsor you.  I've got 16 years of experience with 6510-assembly,
> | which should be enough...  Granted, I haven't done any
> | 65816-programming.
> |

> | Regards: David Weinehall
>
> I should mention that after discussing this with upstream[1], it turns
> out that four source files actually do fall under the old license,
> making one program non-free. 95% of it is in contrib, because the
> program that's non-free is the C compiler, and I decided that was
> important enough to be a Depends. So it's been split into three
> packages now, cc65 (the free binaries, contrib/arch), cc65-compiler
> (the non-free binary, non-free/arch) and cc65-libs (the platform
> specific libs, but which I believe are architecture independant,
> because they are simply built by the cc65 tools themselves,
> contrib/all). Somebody told me that a lot of DDs don't like sponsoring
> non-free packages, so I hope that doesn't change your mind. But I
> thank you for the interest either way!

Well, I'm not fond of non-free either, and I neither use nor maintain
any non-free packages, so sponsoring one would indeed be a bit awkward.
And reading the thread on debian-legal, it seems that upstream has a
somewhat strange perspective towards copyright issues, so I'm afraid
I'll have to withdraw my offer to sponsor you, at least for the time
beingg.  While it would be really nice to have this set of tools in
Debian, I'd rather suggest you either find some way to build only
package the free parts, or wait with the packaging until the
whole legal issues have been resolved and the entire package
is free.  While a 65xx/65xxx-development kit would be nice,
do we really want it at the expense of yet another non-free
package?

Regards: David
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /) Northern lights wander      (\
//  Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel   //  Dance across the winter sky //