Re: How to get package in main with the same version to upgrade over a mentors.debian.net version?

Geert Stappers wrote:

> > The proper way is to simply not upload to mentors.d.n with
> > 'official' debian revision numbers. Assuming the offical version
> > will be 1.0-1, use for example 1.0-1~mentors1 (if mentors.d.n
> > accepts ~ in version numbers), or alternatively 1.0-0mentors1
> > (decrease debian-revision by one, append a mentor-specific part).
>
> Gee, I real need to find back that document that wrote to use
>
>  1.0-0.1, 1.0-0.2, 1.0-0.3 etc for non official debian packages.

I don't think this is a good idea, because those numbers are used for
non-maintainer uploads.  You could have different versions with the same
number, one uploaded to m.d.n and the other uploaded to the main archive
as an NMU.  It's also confusing because it looks like an NMU.

I think numbers like 1.0-0test1 (where "test" can be any string) are
best, if you need to create separate testing versions that will not be
uploaded to the archive.  This method is used by other Debian developers
including the XFree86 maintainers (c.f. xfree86 4.3.0-0pre1v3).

I use normal versions like 1.2.1-1 when uploading to m.d.n, and this
hasn't caused any problems.  If no bugs are found in the m.d.n package,
I send it to my sponsor to be uploaded with no further changes.