Re: RFS: stripclub - Online Comic Reader/Archiver

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 07:46:51PM -0600, Benjamin Cutler wrote:
> I'm looking for a sponsor for my package stripclub, an online comic
> reader and archiver. It supports the vast majority of webcomics so far
> tested, though a few kinks still exist, mostly dealing with server
> oddities. The package was built with pbuilder (sid), and is lintian clean.
>
>  Package Name    : stripclub
>  Version         : 0.6.1
>  Upstream Author : "Benjamin Cutler" <cutlerbc@simla.colostate.edu>
>  URL             : http://sourceforge.net/projects/stripclub/
>  License         : GPL
>  Description     : Downloads, archives, and displays comic images from
> websites

Ahem. You DO know that tools like this one are actively damaging online
comic creators?

Most of them are getting a fair share of their revenue from ad sales,
which stripclub, komics etc. pp. are bypassing, or merchandise, which
the user of stripclub will not know about since s/he is never visiting
the site. This is a recurring theme, last seen on the UF board[0].

I'm not saying that this should not be packaged. There may be users who
can't get their daily fix otherwise. But I think they should be damn
well aware what they are doing. If that means plastering a warning
across a splash/nag screen, amen. The rest of us, please support online
comics. I for myself want them to stay.

Bye,
Nick

[0] http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/read.cgi?id=20040407&tid=1118150