Re: RFS: stripclub - Online Comic Reader/Archiver

Brian Nelson wrote:

Benjamin Cutler <cutler@cs.colostate.edu> writes:

After dinking around with the build tools for a bit, I'm reasonably sure
this is put together correctly, so here goes.

I'm looking for a sponsor for my package stripclub, an online comic
reader and archiver. It supports the vast majority of webcomics so far
tested, though a few kinks still exist, mostly dealing with server
oddities. The package was built with pbuilder (sid), and is lintian
clean.

I see a few problems:

* You should change the RFP for stripclub to an ITP (just change the bug
 title), and then close the bug in the changelog.

My first attempt to do this kinda blundered it, obviously... I tried to retitle it by sending a message to control@bugs.debian.org, but it doesn't seem to have worked. I'm supposed to get at least an error response if I get it wrong, aren't I?

* Your debian/copyright is lacking a bit.  See
 http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2003/debian-devel-announce-200312/msg00007.html
 for more info.
So I should change the "company name" to my name? Or do you mean I should be more clear on the GPL?

* Standards-Version is out of date

Is this something that just entails changing the number (which I just did, if that's all...), or does my package somehow violate a new standard?

* The short description is a little long for my tastes.  It seems it
 could be phrased more concisely.  Also, the long description is rather
 poorly written.  It contains incomplete sentences, and the use of
 acronyms like FLTK should be avoided.  See section 6.2 of the
 developers reference.
Rewritten.

* The debian/rules file contains a lot of commented out commands left
 over from the dh_make template.  It's best to clean it up and remove
 commands that will never be used.

Cleaned up.

* The debian/stripclub.doc-base.EX file should be removed.  It's just a
 dh_make example file.

Done. Thought I got all those, oops. (Isn't lintian supposed to catch that?)

* The upstream optimization flags look retarded.  "-O3
 -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops"?  What is that about?  This isn't
 gentoo...

Is this an actual problem, or a matter of taste? If it's the latter, I don't really see a need to change it...

* The md5sums don't match the upstream tarball.  It looks like upstream
 distributes the file as a bz2, so the .orig.tar.gz can't match, but
 the .tar file inside should still be identical.

Hmm, that seems a little odd. I'll fiddle with my internal packaging script and have it make both bz2 and gz, uupdate was spitting a warning at me about "unable to preserve pristine sources from non-gz", guess it wasn't something I can just ignore.

Updated files available at the same URL.