files in one package for another package

What is the best way to handle the following situation:

package A (unofficial "beamer" in my case) contains some support
files for an official package B ("lyx-common"). These support files have
to be copied into the directory tree of package B.

How can I determine at installation time whether package B is

Can I simply copy the files into their places of package B?

Or should I build a separate package C, which only contains these
support files and has a dependency on package B (this looks like
overkill to me)?

PS: Please CC me.
mw@miwie.in-berlin.de                              http://www.miwie.org