About Package Creation... (sarge vs sid)

Just how important is it that a package be created on a box running sid? I'm currently running sarge, and would like to package a program myself instead of waiting for somebody else, but I'm not sure I want to start running sid just so I can do that.

I currently have an RFP out on wnpp to see if somebody else will pick it up, but if nobody picks it up in a week or so I'll just do it myself if possible. If I were to do so, could I respond to my own RFP and take it over?