Re: RFS: qbrew -- a homebrewer's recipe calculator

Tobias Toedter <t.toedter@web.de> writes:

> On Tuesday 29 April 2003 01:22, Roger Leigh wrote:
>
> > I have a small GTK+ 2.0 tool
> > (http://www.whinlatter.uklinux.net/gtk/ogcalc.c) for calculating %ABV
> > and original gravity from present gravity and refractive index.  You
> > are welcome to take this code if you wish.
>
> Thanks a lot. I will take a look at the program. (Although I have to admit
> that I don't have a clue what %ABV means...)

Percentage Alcohol By Volume.

In commercial brewing, controlling and determining the gravity
(density) and alcohol content are of paramount importance.  Some
drinkers care about %ABV, too ;-)

This tool won't be of much to home brewers, I'm afraid--you need some
pretty expensive kit just to get the values to do the calculations
(refractometer, densitometer, full distillation kit and 5-6
d.p. balance to calculate the correction factors).

Regards,
Roger

--
Roger Leigh

                GPG Public Key: 0x25BFB848 available on public keyservers