Re: [OT] OS Design Book Recommendations

www.kernelnewbies.org/books.php3

> Operating System Concepts - 6th Edition     Abraham Silberschatz, et al.
> Mentioned often but not reviewed that highly
> Modern Operating Systems - 2nd Edition     Andrew Tanenbaum.  Well reviewed.
> Applied Operating System Concepts   Abraham Siblerschatz, et al.
>
> Anyone have any favorites or any other better suggestions???  I am of
> course mostly interested in *nix and possibly the Mach kernel (for the
> Hurd) but am really focused on theory, design, etc.

The design of the unix operating system, Maurice Bach. Nearly perfect if
you want to understand how unix works.

I personally dislike Modern Operating Systems, I've read it and I didn't
enjoy it. The last  version of the book is much  less tecnichal than the
previous one,  the so called  Operating Systems.  To give you  the idea,
Modern Operating  Systems doesn't talk  about Minix any more,  you don't
see a line of code, but it's  full of "vaporware" about usb, windows and
other things.

I never read the books of  Silberschatz, but everyone who read them told
me they're good.

--
Non c'è più forza nella normalità, c'è solo monotonia.