Re: RFS: playmidi

I demand that Brian Nelson may or may not have written...

> Darren Salt <linux@youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk> writes:
>> I'm looking for a sponsor for playmidi.

>> I've fixed some of the reported bugs and applied an extra patch or two of
>> my own. The diff and dsc files aren't available for download but I'll send
>> them to anybody who's interested in sponsorship.

> Are you planning to adopt playmidi?  If so, you will really need to take
> over as upstream as well, since it appears to be quite dead.

For that reason, I'm CC'ing upstream. Lack of response by the end of this
month will be taken as "don't care about it", in which case I may decide to
hijack upstream.

> Otherwise, it would probably be best to just remove playmidi from the
> archive.

Maybe. OTOH, I use it and I know that one other uses it... aside from that,
well - popularity-contest data?

>> I've also considered splitting the package (ref. bug 28471), but I'm not
>> sure that the hassle of doing this is worth the gain wrt dependencies: the
>> main problem is in moving ownership of the debconf configuration data to
>> another package. There's some pre-debconf-handling cruft there too which
>> I'm cautious about removing because it postdates potato - or would it be
>> better to just forget that question and ask afresh?

> Debconf usage is definitely preferable to "manually" asking questions in
> the maintainer scripts.

True; I don't plan to change that. (I should have typed "forget the original
answer".)

> However, splitting an already small package into even smaller pieces is
> discouraged; the ftp-masters will likely reject it.

Then I'll just leave them in one package and mark that bug as 'wontfix'.

> Also, note that svgalib is very much dead.

Maybe nobody will notice if I simply don't build that version :-)

--
| Darren Salt   | linux (or ds) at | nr. Ashington,
| woody, sarge, | youmustbejoking  | Northumberland
| RISC OS       | demon co uk      | Toon Army
|   I don't ask for much, just untold riches...

He who hesitates is sometimes saved.