Re: Flogging a dead horse....

(I guess the horse isn't dead after all)

What about in my case, I forked the code because upstream vanished
six years ago. I jump from 1.5 (original) to 1.7 (my version). I made
some major mods to it and had a 1.6, then I added autotools support
and bumped it to 1.7. The diff from 1.5 to 1.7 is bigger than the
source for 1.7!

Although after studying Policy, I really should separate the drum
patches from the main package and put them in xdrum-data perhaps,
since it does build on other architectures now. Hehe I have it
compiling on my little Netwinder.

Maybe I should rename it to reflect the fork, like xdrum -> dxdrum ?

I haven't been able to contact Olof Astrand (the original author) for
about five years. The original license was Public Domain / send him
an email. I GPL'd it, and have kept his original readme intact. One
of my only questions is he had a copyright notice in the title bar
which I removed, although I have otherwise respected his copyright
notices in the code and such. What is the status when source is
public domain according to its readme yet includes scattered
copyrights here and there. Obviously since I hacked code in too, he
doesn't have the exclusive copyright anymore, and its not appropriate
that the title bar credit only him (he didn't write it all anyways).
I'd like to contact him but the dude seems to have vanished from
the face of the internet. Hope he's making the big bucks :-)

BTW, I filed an ITP for this package. It is a nice drum machine, if
you run GTK Guitar Effects Processor on the line in, you can multiplex
xdrum with it and jam away with nothing but an electric guitar and
a computer running Debian, all you need is a 1/4" to sound card
mono adapter plug, and you run the guitar in "clean" and let GtkGEP
handle your effects. Big fun!

GtkGEP is a nice music package that could be Debianized, BTW. Hint hint.

I want to thank the list for all the helpful comments and suggestions
on this thread!

Regards,
Doug