Re: search/get bug database, rc bugs excuses, closing bugs

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, Colin Watson wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 06:52:47PM -0600, Drew Scott Daniels wrote:
> > On Fri, 4 Apr 2003 00:39:34 +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> > > On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 01:19:54PM -0600, Drew Scott Daniels wrote:
> > > inside /org/bugs.debian.org/spool.
> > Would anything else be there?
> Bits and pieces of state. There are no hidden bugs, if that's what you
> mean.

Is there any structure to the file(s)? Are the sorted by
bug/package/srcpkg? Reading another message in this thread it seems that
each bug is in a separate file, but is there any directory structure?

> > used much from what I've seen). I'd enjoy contributing to a Debian BTS
> > rewrite.
>
> I tend to take a very dim view of rewrites: I'd much rather extend and
> improve existing code than get distracted by rewriting it, particularly
> for tasks like this that require very few changes to existing code and
> lots of new code. Also, when working with existing code you can
> prototype the improvements alongside the live system for a while until
> they become stable.

Working with old code at work, and hearing the occasional groan about how
complicated the BTS code is makes me worry about just doing a few changes.
I am however willing to do some rewriting of debbugs.

> That aside, http://bugs.debian.org/~cjwatson/version-tracking.html is my
> current thinking. I'm going to start prototyping the changelog parsing
> Real Soon Now (I'm changing jobs in a few weeks' time, with the result
> that I'll probably have a week or two in between free to hack on things
> like this). At that point I'll probably know whether help is needed.

Very interesting. I'd like to comment on this and say that I think that
perhaps branches should be tracked according to the distribution
directories.

Changes in the woody branch may not (or can't?) appear in the changelog for
the unstable branch of a package. It's not clear to me what you're doing
with the non-duplicated information. It would be nice to have automatic
bug closing through the changelogs for each distribution though.

I think the tags potato, woody, sarge and sid could all be extended. They
could be used appropriately and perhaps the only additions needed would
be:
"Version-branch:" for each distribution instead of "Version:".
"FixedVer-branch:" where branch=distribution tag, to show what fixes each
branch.
reportbug patched to:
	Include the distribution tag automatically
	Use "Version-branch:", instead of "Version:"
Parse changelogs for each of the distributions and close bugs using the
"FixedVer-branch:" field as well as removing the tag for that distribution
and if there are no distribution tags left close the bug?

And another nice feature to have would be to allow viewing of bugs by
distribution.

I imagine these changes might be seem unnecessary, but I wanted to get my
two bits in on what colour the bike shed should be [1].

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=506636+517178+/usr/local/www/db/text/1999/freebsd-hackers/19991003.freebsd-hackers

Thanks

     Drew Daniels