Re: faqomatic bug handling question

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 10:46:19PM -0500, jereme wrote:
> Hi all,
>

>    I am working on fixing my first bug in the package faqomatic, which
>    I would like to adopt.  I have a few "how should this be handled"
>    questions.
>
>    The bug is #177890 and it basically reports that faqomatic, (a web
>    based program for maintaining faq's) produces invalid HTML output.
>
>    Faqomatic uses CGI.pm for output, this definately isn't Debian
>    specific.  I assume this would be forwarded to the upstream
>    faqomatic author?
if it's a CGI.pm issue then consider reassign it to libcgi-pm-perl package and
forward to module upstream author.

>    Also, the report, which looks to have been generated by reportbug,
>    lists the package version as 2.717-0 but the available Debian
>    versions are:
>
>    stable  faqomatic 2.712-3
>    testing  faqomatic 2.714-2
>    unstable  faqomatic 2.714-3
>
>    How can this be?  Could the reporter have been using a non-debian
>    package?  Current upstream is 2.717.
sure, for example by using unofficial repository or by building the package
using debian/ directory sometimes bundled with upstream source (eg. mplayer)

>    Version confusion asside, I tested the output from faqomatic
>    running on my stable system with nsgmls and it did indead report
>    some problems.  I also tried to validate the front page of the
>    faqomatic main site, (running 2.717) and it to reported errors.
if these are known problems try to fix and eventually talk with the upstream
author, else file a bug :)

>    I guess many of these questions should be directed to the reporter.
this is surely the best option
>    I would also like to know which version of CGI.pm is installed on
>    their machine.
this question suggests me that faqomatic (reporter version, not in debian)
doesn't depend on libcgi-pm-perl

filippo.
--
Filippo Giunchedi
GNU/PG key id: 1024D/6B79D401

Date: Tuesday, 2002/10/22 - 08:09
dselect proves the existence of Satan. It's the worst part of Debian