Re: Package Versioning question

Kenneth Pronovici said:
> > I have a question about how to proceed.  I am considering packaging a
> > program, and it uses a nonstandard versioning scheme.  It ends up
> > looking like <package>-DR7.10.  dh_make doesn't parse this - this in
> > itself trivial to work around, but it made me stop and wonder if this
> > is because the versioning scheme is something that shouldn't be used, or
> > if it was because of a shortcoming in dh_make.  I tend to think the
> > latter, and think that a bug should be filed, but I'm asking because I
> > wanted to make sure I didn't just miss something here.
>
> You might want to check policy before filing a bug:
>
>    http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-versions.html
>
> As I read it, the relevant section is:
>
>    The upstream_version may contain only alphanumerics[13] and the
>    characters . + - : (full stop, plus, hyphen, colon) and should start
>    with a digit.
>
> The key being, "start with a digit", which of course yours doesn't.  I
> don't think you can expect dh_make to support version schemes that
> violate policy.

Well, now. It doesn't exactly violate policy, since policy says
"should," not "must." But I'm not a Debian Developer myself.

Also, there exist two packages in debian already with versions beginning
with letters without any bugs against them for this:
cnews (cr.g7-31) and tac-plus (F4.0.4.alpha-11)

--
Aaron Haviland      orion [at] tribble [dot] dyndns [dot] org
                                  orion [at] parsed [dot] net