Re: Package Versioning question

> I have a question about how to proceed.  I am considering packaging a
> program, and it uses a nonstandard versioning scheme.  It ends up
> looking like <package>-DR7.10.  dh_make doesn't parse this - this in
> itself trivial to work around, but it made me stop and wonder if this
> is because the versioning scheme is something that shouldn't be used, or
> if it was because of a shortcoming in dh_make.  I tend to think the
> latter, and think that a bug should be filed, but I'm asking because I
> wanted to make sure I didn't just miss something here.

You might want to check policy before filing a bug:

   http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-versions.html

As I read it, the relevant section is:

   The upstream_version may contain only alphanumerics[13] and the
   characters . + - : (full stop, plus, hyphen, colon) and should start
   with a digit.

The key being, "start with a digit", which of course yours doesn't.  I
don't think you can expect dh_make to support version schemes that
violate policy.

I'm not sure what exactly you should do with your version, though. I'll
let the real experts answer that one. :-)

KEN

--
Kenneth J. Pronovici <pronovic@ieee.org>
Personal Homepage: http://www.skyjammer.com/~pronovic/