Re: How to deal with sql-database structures on upgrade

Marc Haber said:
> On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 23:05:12 +0100, Thorsten Sauter
> <tsauter@debian.org> wrote:
>>Cacti use a mysql database to store the configuration values (including
>>users/password, graphic options, layouts, ...). The new upstream
>>version (0.8.x) use a completly new designed database structure then
>>the old version, which is currently already packed for Debian.
>
> This sounds like the apache, exim or webrt problem. All three packages
> have solved that by packaging the new version as $PACKAGE$VERSION
> (e.g. apache2, exim4).

I would consider that a *very* last-ditch option.  For SQL schemas, there
is often/usually a way to transform the old into the new.  Take a look at
IRM for an example of how I did this for a fairly major set of changes.
What does upstream recommend for upgrades?  I presume they don't advocate
"aah, just blow it all away and start again", do they?
- Matt