Re: UTF-8 in copyright files?

At Mon, 15 Dec 2003 19:29:59 +0000,
Scott James Remnant wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 18:44, Joel Baker wrote:
>
> > Is it valid to use UTF-8 in the debian/copyright file? (Specifically, it
> > is possibly to accurately reproduce a copyright symbol, using UTF-8, which
> > would be a nice thing to have...)
> >
> There exists no policy for this; therefore common sense takes
> precedence.  UTF-8 is fast becoming the defacto standard character set
> (with good reason) so I'd use it.

This is just only "copyright mark" issue.

However for your information, there are some cases that the original
author's copyright information is written in non-English language.

I have some packages (ex. lha) that the upstream author wrote only
Japanese copyright statement.  In that case, I usually pasted original
copyright statement with Japanese major encoding EUC-JP, and added the
statement like "this sentence is written in Japanese EUC-JP".  I also
add a translation of the copyright statement in English.

Regards,
-- gotom