Re: Splitting man pages

Hi Paolo!

On Thursday 18 December 2003 12:55, blacksheep wrote:
> .so /usr/share/<package-name>/additional.1

This is a bit esoteric, but I export /usr/share/man from one of my systems and
mount it (as /usr/local/share/man) on some others, so that I do not have to
install manpages on every system.  If I understand correctly, this would not
work in such a case (because the included file would be outside the exported
tree and not visible to the other machines), but that may or may not be worth
worrying about.  I may well be the only person silly enough to do things this
way.  =)

Another (completely different) approach would be to write the documentation in
DocBook XML and use XInclude to insert the common section(s) into each
manpage before converting to troff with xmlto or a similar tool.  (Note that
I have not used XInclude for this yet, but it should work.)  It might not be
worth converting all your manpages to DocBook just for this, though.  =)

Cheers,
nate

--
Nathaniel W. Turner