Re: RFS: phpgroupware

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 12:55:56PM +0000, Thomas Viehmann wrote:
> Frank K?ster (frank@kuesterei.ch) wrote:
> >
> >Why should debconf prompt in postrm? You can just use
> >
> >db_set phpgroupware/adminpass dummy
> >
> >(or the perl equivalent) after you have used it.
>
> The point is that the current behaviour is to drop the database /
> database user upon purging (if the user selected this).
> This means that the postrm needs a way to access the database with a
> priviledged account, the credentials of which need either be saved or
> asked for.
> Most likely, I'll just drop this feature altogether...
> (This is pretty much wat Jamin suggested on his reply to -devel.)

I wouldn't drop the feature.  After a purge, a package should leave the
system as close to the way it found as possible.  There are users that
won't want the database around after a purge and there are those that
will.  A simple prompt in postrm when purging for the DB admin password
should be fine.  I realize we try to limit prompting to the bare
minimum, but if a user has indicated that they want to remove the
database on a purge, we need to be able to do so.  This means we either
store the DB admin password in debconf (bad idea IMO) or prompt for it
when needed.

--
Jamin W. Collins

This is the typical unix way of doing things: you string together lots
of very specific tools to accomplish larger tasks. -- Vineet Kumar