Re: RFS: phpgroupware

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 12:55:56PM +0000, Thomas Viehmann wrote:
> Frank K?ster (frank@kuesterei.ch) wrote:
> >
> >Why should debconf prompt in postrm? You can just use
> >
> >db_set phpgroupware/adminpass dummy
> >
> >(or the perl equivalent) after you have used it.
> The point is that the current behaviour is to drop the database /
> database user upon purging (if the user selected this).
> This means that the postrm needs a way to access the database with a
> priviledged account, the credentials of which need either be saved or
> asked for.
> Most likely, I'll just drop this feature altogether...
> (This is pretty much wat Jamin suggested on his reply to -devel.)

I wouldn't drop the feature.  After a purge, a package should leave the
system as close to the way it found as possible.  There are users that
won't want the database around after a purge and there are those that
will.  A simple prompt in postrm when purging for the DB admin password
should be fine.  I realize we try to limit prompting to the bare
minimum, but if a user has indicated that they want to remove the
database on a purge, we need to be able to do so.  This means we either
store the DB admin password in debconf (bad idea IMO) or prompt for it
when needed.

Jamin W. Collins

This is the typical unix way of doing things: you string together lots
of very specific tools to accomplish larger tasks. -- Vineet Kumar