Re: packaging xfree86-driver-synaptics: a couple of questions

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 02:10:42PM +0100, Mattia Dongili wrote:
> 1- the upstream package contains also 2 extra utilities to enable
> runtime configuration of the driver (synclient and syndaemon). I'd
> package them separately and Recommend the utilities from the driver
> package. Is it the correct approach?

Either Recommands or Suggests would be probably be correct.  The line
between the two is fairly subjective.

> Any suggestion about the name?

xfree86-driver-synaptics-utils, maybe?  Kind of long and ugly, but
highly consistent with its counterpart.

> 2- the source package needs some X headers not included in xlibs-dev
> [2]. Such headers are included in mainstream package, they are X4.2
> headers but mainstream says they are ok for X4.3 also. I'd set build
> dependency on xlibs-dev and compile against its headers, instead of the
> included ones. I'll still compile against the mainstream included
> headers for the remaining ones.

I don't understand.  You seem to be saying that the headers you need are
not in the package, but also are in the package.

"the source package needs some X headers not included in xlibs-dev"
and
"I'd set build dependency on xlibs-dev and compile against its headers"

Also, what do you mean by "mainstream package"?

> Another option could be to create another xfree86-driver-dev to let
> external drivers compile. Which solution?

I think the headers in question will probably end up in the
xfree86-driver-ddk package, which is slated for development after
4.3.0-1 is released.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |       Arguments, like men, are often
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       pretenders.