Re: Package renaming and smooth upgrade

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 04:17:20PM +0100, Nicolas Duboc wrote:
>     Hi all,
>
>  I'm working on the lib-dom-java package.
>  I want to rename it to libdom1-java which is more Java-policy compliant.
>
>  For smooth upgrade, I plan to transform the lib-dom-java package into a
> dummy package depending on libdom1-java.
>
>  I wonder if I can produce the lib-dom-java binary package from the
> libdom1-java source package (in which case the Debian archive will
> include two lib-dom-java binary packages between the libdom1-java
> installation and the lib-dom-java source package removal) or if I must
> keep the lib-dom-java source package independently of libdom1-java.

   Ok. After discussion on IRC, it seems that there is no need to
change the name of the source package.
   So I keep the source package name "lib-dom-java", its compilation
will generate two binary packages : lib-dom-java and libdom1-java.

   It seems that I was confused by the Java policy which isn't clear
about which type of package needs to be name libfoo-java (source and/or
binary package).

---
Nicolas Duboc <nicolas@duboc.net>