Re: Packaging phpLDAPadmin. Newbie's questions.

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 04:41:46PM -0500, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 02:07:46PM -0600, David Segonds wrote:

> You could rename it, but it would be better for upstream to rename it if it
> is not installation instructions.  That way, pointers to documentation are
> consistent between upstream and Debian.  You could also ignore lintian.

As a newbie, ignoring lintian advices does not seem the right thing to
do for some reasons. :)

Which raises another question. How good are lintian advices?

If lintian developers spent time integrating those warnings, they must
be of some value.

Do sponsors systematically run lintian before agreeing to upload a
package? Can a lintian warning stop an upload?

> It is up to you, and depends on what you think would provide the best value
> for you and your users.

Packaging time is also a factor. It is only a few well documented lines
that need to be changed in the configuration file but automatizing the
process may require a lot of work. As a user, I go an twick conffiles
myself. Can I expect this from the "average" user? (if such a thing
exists)

I am not trying to troll here but merely to get acquainted with the Debian
way of doing things so I can fit in as soon as possible and reduce the
number of newbie questions.

Sincerely,
David.
--