Sponsorship for non-NM?

Hi,

I want to apply for Debian Maintainer some time in the future, but I don't
feel ready right now. Nevertheless, I think I'm able to maintain one or two
packages which are up for adoption. This way, I can learn how this
packaging stuff works and I can already contribute to Debian. How is
this supposed to work now? Should I look for a sponsor who uploads my
package for me? I this possible even though I don't (yet) apply for the
NM process?

Kindly,
Fio