pbuilder: How to get debconf interactive?

Hi,

to test debconf questions I would like to do installations, upgrades
etc. in a pbuilder environment. However, debconf seems to be fixed to
the noninteractive frontend. I can get something else by setting
DEBIAN_FRONTEND, but even after

DEBIAN_FRONTEND=dialog dpkg-reconfigure debconf

and choosing dialog (which was on the top anyway, IIRC) debconf stayed
silent. I couldn't find any mention of debconf or confmodule in
pbuilders manual page, the html documentation or the executables (even
in /usr/lib/pbuilder).

Any ideas?

TIA, Frank
Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie