Re: GNAT 3.15p

> Ludovic Brenta <ludovic.brenta@insalien.org> writes:
>
> > First, please note that Debian is the only distro that does not ship
> > shared libraries with the FSF variant of GNAT; all other distros agree
> > that shared libraries are a good thing.
>
> In fact, the GNU Ada Environment specification I wrote strongly
> recommends them, even with the sonames you prefer. 8-)

It's funny you should mention it just now, because I just became aware
of it not 10 minutes ago while browsing debian-devel archives :)

(however, it does not specifically mention sonames, just file names of
shared libraries).

Because I would strongly support any standardisation effort, I changed
the paths to the files for asis, which I'm packaging just now.  I
don't like the long directory names too much (I would prefer just
/usr/include/<module> and /usr/lib/<module>), but I'll follow these
recommendations for compatibility with the Ada for Linux team.  I used
to use their RPMs long ago.

I note that your recommendation includes the commands "adainstall" and
"adaconfig".  I seem to remember them from the gnat RPM by Jürgen
Pfeifer.  Are you planning to package them for Debian?

> > Most of the recent distributions seem to have dropped ACT releases
> > altogether, in favour of FSF ones.  This is unfortunate, because the
> > ACT releases are more mature and stable.  I would like Debian to
> > include GNAT 3.15p.
>
> Yes, that's a good idea.
>
> > The soname for FSF versions is also ill-chosen, and is very likely to
> > change when ACT finally declares the integration between the Ada
> > front-end and the GCC 3.x back-end to be complete.  GCC 3.2 does not
> > have a problem, but GCC 3.3 uses the same soname as ACT's binary
> > distribution.  This is bad, given the ABI incompatibility.
>
> I merely suspect that there is an ABI incompatibility.  I'm not sure
> it's actually there.  (No one tests such things.)
>
> > In order to ensure that the soname used by ACT and FSF variants remain
> > different, I think the best is to keep the current scheme for the
> > soname (libgnat-3.15p.so.1), and to add a prominent warning to this
> > effect in the description of the package.  This has the additional
> > advantage of sticking to the Debian policy.
>
> I agree.

Thanks for your support.  You can check out gnat (= 3.15p-2) which
follows this.

--
Ludovic Brenta.