Sponsor vs. Developer Process?

I'm a little confused about the timeline of the sponsor vs. developer
process. I have read the relevant documents at debian.org/devel.

I filed an ITP on salonify, bug #201878. Salonify is an image gallery
program. One developer on debian-devel complained that there were perhaps
already too many image gallery programs in Debian, but, as several other
people mentioned, I haven't been satisfied with any of the existing
packages, and I do think salonify has several advantages or at least
significant differences with exiting packages in the distribution.

So I applied to become a DD, got my key signed and my application
verified, and now I am waiting for an AM assignment.

I am wondering if it makes sense to try to find a sponsor to upload my
package now, or wait to go through the entire DD process before trying to
include salonify in Debian, or if it really matters which way I go?  I
understand it can take many months to become a DD, but also it appears
that it might take many months to find a sponsor.

Is there anything I should do other than sit back and wait?

Any advice you all might have would be appreciated.
--
Adam Kessel