Re: Excessive wait for DAM - something needs to be done

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 21:50:18 +0100
"Matt Ryan" <mryan@debian.org> wrote:
> Adam Heath wrote:
> > On Sun, 13 Jul 2003, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> >
> > > 2000-12-17 - Eray Ozkural <erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr>
> > >    http://nm.debian.org/nmstatus.php?email=erayo%40cs.bilkent.edu.tr
> > >    * DAM Comment: Have asked applicant to get 5 sponsors.
> >
> > Read the list archives.  You'll find that this person might never be
> allowed
> > into debian.
>
> FFS, yet again the big children in the playground take away the toys from
> the others. I can't see why this poor person has been excluded from joining
> the gang other than malicious intent from the DAM. I'm happy to be one of
> the 5 sponsors if they are still interested - any other volunteers to help
> show Debian is not a bunch of snobby w*nkers?

Hardly. Every Debian Developer has the ability to run arbitrary code as
root on everybody's system. Do you want to try and make the argument
that regardless of whether the person has proved spiteful, unstable,
mean, and just generally a jackass ... right, are you wanting to make
the case that even if they've proven themselves to be totally unreliable
and untrustworthy, they should be allowed to run code as root on
people's systems because they're technically capable of writing said
code?

Indeed, pretty much every stage except for the DAM stage checks for
technical details. Do they understand the DFSG? Do they know how to make
a package? Can they prove they are who they say they are?

At this point, as far as I know, only the DAM stage of the NM process is
where the individual is looked at as a whole.

Getting rid of that examination would be very detrimental to Debian as a
whole, and will likely result in some very, very unpleasant things
happening to the Debian community and to our users at some point.