Re: howto add patches?

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 12:27:38PM +0200, GCS wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 09:47:57AM +0100, Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote:
> > The simplest way is just to apply the patch directly and rebuild! DBS,
> > dpatch, and the like are usually massive overkill for small packages or
> > small patch sets.
>  It seems. But on the long run, it would be easier to leave the original
> package intact, let it evolve, and apply my changes into the debian/ dir
> only imho.

My experience strongly disagrees except in the most complex cases with
very large collections of patches that cannot go upstream for some
reason; for a few patches I've always found the .diff.gz quite adequate
for seeing Debian-specific changes, and build-time patch systems impose
extra difficulty on other people trying to decipher the package's build
process so I don't think they should be used unnecessarily. I suggest
using revision control if you want to keep track of your changes in more
detail.

Developers do differ considerably on this point, though.