Re: howto add patches?

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 04:51:32AM -0400, Morgon Kanter <morgon@surgo.net> wrote:
> Why not just use dpatch? It does all this and more for you.
 I did not know this before. It was new to me, and I still have a
problem with this: /usr/share/dpatch/dpatch.make, line 30 is:
 if $$patch -patch >$$stamp.new 2>&1; then
Does it try to execute my patch made with 'diff -Nur'? I get the
following errors:
 debian/rules build
 test -d debian/patched || install -d debian/patched
 /home/gcs/build_sources/openldap-2.1.21
 applying patch debian/patches/01-schemas.patch...diff:
 openldap-2.1.17.orig/servers/slapd/schema/samba.schema: No such file or
 directory
 diff: openldap-2.1.17/servers/slapd/schema/samba.schema: No such file
 or directory
 debian/patches/01-schemas.patch: line 2: ---: command not found
 debian/patches/01-schemas.patch: line 3: +++: command not found
 [cut for brevity]

I think I have to check a real world example.

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 09:47:57AM +0100, Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote:
> The simplest way is just to apply the patch directly and rebuild! DBS,
> dpatch, and the like are usually massive overkill for small packages or
> small patch sets.
 It seems. But on the long run, it would be easier to leave the original
package intact, let it evolve, and apply my changes into the debian/ dir
only imho.

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 02:21:06AM -0700, Neil Spring <nspring@cs.washington.edu> wrote:
> You might try using the -N option to patch, which tells it to ignore
> the patch if already applied.  Alternately, you could reverse the
> patch in the clean target, which seems to be what dbs does.
 Sounds good. If I fail to make dpatch working, I think I will use this
method. Even if I think it also changes the original source when debuild
re-create the source and the diff for the package.

Thanks,
GCS