Re: How to figure out the correct build-dependencies?

Hi.

Frank Küster wrote:
> dh_shlibdeps nicely sorts out the libraries that a binary package
> depends on. Quite nicely, since I get "xlibmesa3 | libgl1", but there
> seems to be no package named libgl1. And how do I figure out the correct
> Build-dependencies:-line? Are there any tools?
This is created by the shlib file of the package that provides the
xlibmesa3-Library. libgl1 is to be a virtual package for packages implementing
opengl (or whatever it's officially called). (Take a look at "apt-cache showpkg
libgl1".)
Building your packages with pbuilder (and testing those) will catch most of your
obmissions.
BTW: (Learned by my own obmission.) For free packages, you might also want to
check whether the build-dependencies are in main. (IIRC, molmol is non-free,
anyway, though.)

> Of course if I use some utilities not in build-essential, I have to know
> that myself and put them there. But what about libraries? Can I just
> assume that for every library in the Dependencies of my binary package,
> I need the respective libfoo-dev in Build-Dependencies?
More or less, yes.

> And if yes, what about "xlibmesa3 | libgl1", if libgl1 and libgl1-dev
> existed? Can I always assume that if the libraries can replace each
> other, then the dev-Packages can, too?
You could always be conservative about build-dependencies. However, it seems the
that libgl-dev exists as a virtual package, too, so a build-dependency of
"xlibmesa3-dev | libgl-dev" should be in order. (I'm not a gl-expert though.)

Cheers

T.