Re: Finding dependencies

This one time, at band camp, Jaime Robles said:
> Hello.

Hello,

> I am doing my NM process and i have a question that i still don't know
> how to answer properly O:-)
>
> It is about finding dependencies.  How can i find the dependencies for
> a package?  I know that there is a "hack" to find them but... what
> about using chroots?  I supose that if you are in a chroot enviroment
> created with debotstrap you can try&guess the dependencies for a
> package but... is it necesary a guess and error process to do it? Is
> there another way?

I'm not sure if you mean Depends: or Build-Depends: here - I'm going to
assume Depends: here.  Running objdump on your binaries is a always a
good start - that's what shlibdeps uses to get it's list.  Then you'll
need to use some sense for things that are perhaps not picked up this
way - if it's an emacs helper mode it should depend on emacs, if it's a
cgi-bin script it should probably depend/recommend httpd, and so forth.
After you get a list of libraries, you can use dpkg -S or apt-file to
find out what package they're in.

If you mean Build-Depends:, there's a pretty decent script in the NM
guide, but you'll need to trim the packages that are Build-Essential out
of it.

> If i build a package using pbuilder from the dsc file... are the
> dependencies guessed and checked? Or the dependencies are used from
> what you wrote in the debian/control file?

Used from the control file for Build-Depends, filled in by shlibdeps for
Depends.

HTH,
|   ,''`.					     Stephen Gran |
|  : :' :					 sgran@debian.org |
|  `. `'			Debian user, admin, and developer |
|    `-					    http://www.debian.org |