How to figure out the correct build-dependencies?

Hi,

dh_shlibdeps nicely sorts out the libraries that a binary package
depends on. Quite nicely, since I get "xlibmesa3 | libgl1", but there
seems to be no package named libgl1. And how do I figure out the correct
Build-dependencies:-line? Are there any tools?

Of course if I use some utilities not in build-essential, I have to know
that myself and put them there. But what about libraries? Can I just
assume that for every library in the Dependencies of my binary package,
I need the respective libfoo-dev in Build-Dependencies?

And if yes, what about "xlibmesa3 | libgl1", if libgl1 and libgl1-dev
existed? Can I always assume that if the libraries can replace each
other, then the dev-Packages can, too?

TIA, Frank
Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie