Re: Howto make one Debian package out of 2 source tar.gz?

Simon Richter <sjr@debian.org> schrieb:

> Frank,
>
>> The program is distributed as two tar.gz files, molmol-2k.2.0-src.tar.gz
>> and molmol-2k.2.0-doc.tar.gz. However they have to make one Debian
>> Package (or at least be mixed), since after compilation everything that
>> comes out of the src.tar.gz is the single binary, whereas manpages,
>> internal menu files and so on are in the doc.tar.gz.
>
> Hrm, what about leaving the source trees separate and simply creating
> two packages that depend on each other? I mean, when upstream thinks
> that a separate -doc package is warranted, it might be a good idea to
> make the docs a separate arch-indep package and reduce archive size this
> way.

No, after compiling all there is in the src.tar.gz is the file
"molmol". Everything else, starting from a wrapper script to be but in
*/bin/ to internal manual files or manpages are in doc.tar.gz. The
binary does run without them, but it isn't usable.

Bye, Frank
Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie