source package question

I am starting to develop debian packages, and have the following question
concerning source packages.

The source package consists of three files:
<package>.orig.tar.gz
<packsage>.diff.gz
<package>.dsc

When I create these files using dpkg-source -b <package> command, all works
fine. However I notice that when I untar the <package>.orig.tar.gz file,
files go into a directory named <package>.orig.

Looking at existing source tar files, I notice that the unpacked directory
name is simply <package>.

It makes more sence to me that a file named libcdk_4.9.9.orig.tar.gz  would
unpack to directory libcdk_4.9.9.orig and not libcdk_4.9.9.

BTW - I'm looking for a mentor so I can adopt the libdsp package.