Re: debhelper upgrade makes lintian complain?

Thomas Viehmann <tv@beamnet.de> schrieb:

> Hi Frank,
>
> Frank Küster wrote:
>> Now lintian complains:
>> W: netenv: prerm-does-not-remove-usr-doc-link
>> W: netenv: postinst-does-not-set-usr-doc-link
>> Formerly, the respective links where set by parts that dh_installdocs
>> put into postinst and prerm.
> The usr/doc transition is considered complete in sid/sarge, so this function was
> removed from debhelper.

Ok, fine.

>> Did I do something wrong, or is this due to the debhelper upgrade? Is
>> this link now obsolete? And if the latter is true, do I need an upgraded
>> lintian as well?
> A 100% solution would be adding usr-doc-link by hand in your backport or enhance
> the debhelper backport to do this.

Or just forget about it - any user who uses woody with backports will
have heard of /usr/share/doc, won't (s)he?

> Backporting lintian (which will now complain
> if you do set a usr/doc link (AFAIK)) isn't really doing anything to address the
> problem, OTOH if you're not building packages for official Debian (which you are
> not if you use a backported toolchain), you may just get by without the usr/doc
> link, so a backported lintian might suit your needs.

Well, lintian is a nice tool, but I don't think I should bother too much
about complains that just come from version clashes as long as they
don't reflect any real problems.

> In summary, it's a bit dependend on your goals: Do you want packages 100%
> following stable policy or do you want packages following the current policy.
> Except for official updates to stable I don't really see a lot of argument for
> the former.

You're right, and so I'll forget about this obsolete link.

But your comment (and Colins as well) bring me to an other point. Indeed
right now this package is for private use and to offer it to other
people as a backport. However, the Debian maintainer of the package has
told me that he doesn't have time to work on it. So I'm thinking about
uploading it, and I probably also have a sponsor. On the other hand, on
my working machine I do not want to use unstable, and I don't have disk
space available for an unstable chroot or the like (and no time to
bother with unstable issues, too). At least not at the moment.

So if I intend to prepare official packages, what should I do? Probably
I first should install debian-policy & Co. from unstable and make sure
that I always have the current version at hand. But what about software
involved in packaging, like dpkg-dev, devscripts, debhelper? Would I
have to upgrade/backport these, too?

(Or, to put it the other way round, has anybody experience how much
space a minimal unstable installation, just for developing purposes
would need? And is there a tool like auto-apt, but for
build-dependencies?)

TIA, Frank
Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie