Re: debhelper upgrade makes lintian complain?

Hi.

Frank Küster wrote:
> So if I intend to prepare official packages, what should I do? Probably
> I first should install debian-policy & Co. from unstable and make sure
> that I always have the current version at hand. But what about software
> involved in packaging, like dpkg-dev, devscripts, debhelper? Would I
> have to upgrade/backport these, too?
I have serious doubts that this is a good idea. If you miss something you'll
create bad packages. It also impedes thorough testing. Also, once you've
backported and installed build-essential, you're basically running sid.

> (Or, to put it the other way round, has anybody experience how much
> space a minimal unstable installation, just for developing purposes
> would need? And is there a tool like auto-apt, but for
> build-dependencies?)
You probably should use pbuilder. (I compile all the packages I build with
pbuilder. I think a lot of breakage can be avoided that way, i.e. you always
compile against a pure, recent sid/woody and will catch most build-dependency
errors etc..) Also this is quite good for testing. (Testing woody versions when
one runs sid, testing that the dependencies are ok, etc.)
My pbuilder setup for woody and sid takes about 50MB each, plus apt-cache and
results. An unpacked pbuilder chroot tarball takes about 150M.

Cheers

T.