Re: [OT] A question for programmers - Inspiration

Hi Barry,

Robert Bihlmeyer wrote:
> Barry deFreese <bddebian@cox.net> writes:

> Other paths that might lead you to inspirations:
> * On a related note, extensions to programs you use can make nice
>   little projects.

Here might be a nice little project. I thought so after a question of a
documentation-agnostic on debian-user-german:

Partimage seems to be popular with hobby backup takers for ease of use.
However, you cannot get at single files [0] on the media.
I'd think that it should not be too hard to find documentation on the way that
blocks are stored. Once one has this information, one should be able to use
something along the lines of [1] as a way to provide access to it as a block
device. Then the user can just mount that.
You could also try to devise a way to access files directly (e.g. for msdos fs
by extending/deriving mtools), but that would probably not be the unix-way.

Now, I'm personally neither a partimage user nor the guy who wrote [1], but as
it made the faq of partimage, you'd probably get some cheers from the people
there. Also, as partimage is a debian package already, it might be a worthwhile
addition to debian, too. (Then it might not.) If you get real brave, you could
(as a private project) create a udeb and build you own rescue disks using
debian-installer.

Well, maybe this is not a really cool project because maybe you aren't in the
focus group of partimage and think this is silly, but then, there probably is
some audience for it.

Anyhow, just an idea I had in case you want to do something different after
reading through volume two. Now I go back to estimating funny integrals.

Cheers

T.

0. http://www.partimage.org/doc/index-5.html#ss5.1
1. http://www.sciencething.org/geekthings/