Re: [OT] A question for programmers - Inspiration

Barry deFreese <bddebian@cox.net> writes:

> I don't learn a great deal from reading unfortunately.

I think we're alike here. But at least for me some texts were great
inspiration. While reading "The Algorithmic Beauty of Plants" I was
always itching to implement what was described.

> I am pretty much a hands on guy with a background in networking and
> infrastructure stuff. Two ( too Chad's point ) the problem is, is
> that when I have an enlightenment, I guess I get intimidated because
> the things that I want to do are well above my skillsets.

Relax and try it anyway. Then look up things as you go along (in
books, in code that solves similar problems, etc.). After you have
built something, then try to make it better: more efficient, more
tolerant to error cases ... Don't be afraid to make wrong decisions,
mistakes are a great way to learn, too.

> I want to write kernel level stuff when I'm lucky to write my name!!
> :-)

You could try playing with the Hurd. There's a lot of "easy"
kernel-level stuff to be written there, though it may be hard to
understand the mindset at first.

Other paths that might lead you to inspirations:

* Is all the software you use daily free? If not, could you write some
  small free part to replace a non-free one? Perhaps using an already
  exisiting free component and some glue written by you?

* Some boring tasks at your workplace that could be handled by a
  program.

* On a related note, extensions to programs you use can make nice
  little projects.

* Not everything has to be useful. Write an xscreensaver hack.

* Do you like a game that hasn't been done on computer yet?

* If all else fails, you could solve an old problem under a new angle.
  E.g. I once tried to wrote an X clock with minimal memory footprint.

--
Robbe