Re: How free does a non-free package have to be?

On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 02:07:02AM +0100, Johannes Rohr wrote:
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net> writes:

> > > Personally, BTW, I would really, really prefer to maintain Free
> > > Software, not *only* for political reasons but also because a
> > > commercial vendor is obviously the least responsive upstream you can
> > > have. And also, not having access to the source really sucks badly
> > > (even if for non-hackers like me)!

> > > You suggested considering alternatives. So far I haven't heard of any
> > > free-as-in-freedom virus scanner, let alone a production-quality
> > > one. Did I miss something? If yes, please let me know!

> > Have you looked at the packages amavis-ng and clamav?  I've heard good
> > things about these DFSG-free virus tools, but haven't tried them yet
> > myself.

> amavis is already in Debian. It needs a third party virus scanner to
> work. Also clamav is already in Debian. (I never heard of it
> before.). So now I can choose either to abandon my one and only Debian
> package or to continue supporting non-free software, although a free
> alternative is in development.

> I just visited the clamav home page. They say they are using virus
> data from openantivirus.org (of which I never heard before.). At
> OpenAntivirus.org they refer to their own software as Alpha quality. I
> don't know if this applies to both binaries and virus data.

> Well, I'm quite surprised that such an initiative as openantivirus.org
> exists. I thought we would need production-quality viruses for
> GNU/Linux first. But both under openvirus.org and freevirus.org I get
> a "host not found". Hey folks, we're lagging behind! How can GNU/Linux
> ever become ready for the desktop like that? ;-)

It's been pointed out to me in private email that the Open Antivirus
database has fared rather poorly in testing, compared with other virus
scanners; see http://agn-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/vtc/en0212.htm
for one account.

So there may still be a need for non-free virus scanners under Linux; or
you might choose to focus your efforts on improving the quality of the
OpenAV database.  Either way, there's certainly enough work around that
you needn't resort to being "just a user" if you don't want to.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer