Re: How free does a non-free package have to be?

On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 10:22:20PM +0100, Johannes Rohr wrote:

> Well I fully agree with you, but let me explain: Completely by chance
> I took over maintainership of the f-prot-installer package, which is
> in contrib. Since an installer package may easily fail (when the
> vendor changes file names, download locations, the internal structure
> of their package, etc.), I am examining if it is possible to replace
> the installer package with a package that contains the actual
> software. So I'm not planning to make more non-free software available
> to Debian users, but simply to replace an existing package by
> something that is presumably easier to maintain and install.

Ok.  In that case, I agree that a non-free package is better than an
installer in contrib.

> Personally, BTW, I would really, really prefer to maintain Free
> Software, not *only* for political reasons but also because a
> commercial vendor is obviously the least responsive upstream you can
> have. And also, not having access to the source really sucks badly
> (even if for non-hackers like me)!

> You suggested considering alternatives. So far I haven't heard of any
> free-as-in-freedom virus scanner, let alone a production-quality
> one. Did I miss something? If yes, please let me know!

Have you looked at the packages amavis-ng and clamav?  I've heard good
things about these DFSG-free virus tools, but haven't tried them yet
myself.

Regards,
--
Steve Langasek