Re: Build-Depends on source of a different package?

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 01:42:21PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 01:17:13PM +0100, Andreas Metzler wrote:
>> Is there a right way for using the source of a different
>> debian-package?

> For ocaml, i supply an ocaml-source package for other folk to use it.

Hello,
That's the easiest possibility, but it sucks bandwith-wise. -
exim4_source-4.12-5 and exim4_source-4.12-8 can be identical (I
probably have only changed/debian), nevertheless I'll have to upload
it.

>> I've checked the archives, but I only found
>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2001/debian-mentors-200103/msg00253.html
> > which is a little bit dated and without really positive outcome. The
>> best suggestion was something similar to
>> if [ ! -e $TMPDIR/foo.tar.gz ]; then
>>    pushd $TMPDIR
>>    apt-get source --tar-only foo
>>    popd
>> fi

>> If you're wondering: The package in question would be exim v4 with the
>> exiscan patch applied. - It cannot simply be built from the exim4
>> source-package because the patch is released more often than exim
>> itself (current-version is already 4.12-24).

> Well, why don't you simply do a package with a copy of the exim sources,
> and add the patch in the .diff.gz. This way you upload the source just
> once, and upload new .diff.gz each time there is a new version of the
> patches?

But I'd have to reupload all the packages not influenced by the
exiscan-patch at all (-base, -daemon-light, -daemon-heavy) just for
a new release of the exiscan-patch.

Real reason: I don't want the exiscan-patch in the exim4 source
package because I won't be using it and don't want to maintain it.
It will likely have bugs not influencing exim at all and these bugs
shouldn't influence exim's progress to testing.
               cu andreas