Re: virtual-package-depends-without-real-package-depends rsh-client

Colin Watson wrote:
> It's a false positive, yes. Please file it as a bug against lintian
> (also compare #179614).

Bug 179614!  It appears to me that this is a similar but not quite
identical problem.  In that bug the packages were all real packages
and none of them were virtual.  I could not deduce that any of them
were virtual.  So I will file this as a seperate bug and reference the
above as additional information.

But since I have been hassling over this for a few weeks it gives me a
convenient excuse for not having seen that report.  It was only filed
only 9 days ago and was not there when I started seeing this problem
initially.  (Actually, yes, I did search first!  :-)

Matt Zimmerman wrote:

Thanks for your information as well.  It was very helpful.

> Is it certain that none of the rsh-like alternatives will work here?  Why?

This is a legacy corporate environment on a private network without
Internet access.  (Does a socks server count as Internet access?
Let's not discuss that!)  And there is a lot of legacy.  It will take
a while to get all of the people educated about SSH.

SSH in this environment is one of those "new fangled thangs" and it is
not so much that not everything is converted over but more that the
few that have converted over to ssh are the exception.  The majority
of the people and applications are still using rsh.  Like backup.
Something that if I interfered with I would get run out'a Dodge on a
rail.

And Debian is the newcomer to the network.  Mostly it has been
commercial vendor systems.  Politically I need Debian to play nicely
with the other less capable children.

> If you are absolutely certain that ssh (for example) will not work at all,
> then you can guarantee that you will get the real package by specifying a
> versioned dependency, though this is not terribly elegant and may break in
> the future if versioned Provides are implemented.

Use versioned depends to trick lintian not to see this as a virtual
package.  Interesting!  Yes, I tried that and it did silence that
warning.  Thank you for suggesting that.  Since this meta package is
for my own internal use only and I can change it on demand as needed I
can react to any future change in versioned Provides.

Thanks for the help!

Bob