Re: virtual-package-depends-without-real-package-depends rsh-client

On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 05:14:01PM -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Running lintian on the resulting .deb results in the following output.
> I know this is coming from the fields module of lintian.  But I got
> lost in the perl.
>
>   W: myserverbundle: virtual-package-depends-without-real-package-depends rsh-client

Use the -i switch to lintian.

N:
N:   The package declares a depends on a virtual package without listing a
N:   real package as an alternative first.
N:
N:   A real package should be listed in the first part of the | dependency
N:   in order for the package to be installable by package management
N:   programs that can't or won't guess which alternative to select by
N:   default. In particular, it helps build daemons rebuild the package
N:   without manual overrides.
N:
N:   Refer to Policy Manual, section 7.4 for details.
N:

> Why does it think rsh-client is a virtual package?

It is a mixed virtual package.  There is a real package rsh-client, but also
several other packages provide rsh-client (apt-cache showpkg rsh-client).

This may be a false positive, since you should not need an alternative for
mixed virtual packages.

--
 - mdz