Re: Packaging plugins for The GIMP

David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> writes:

> Anyone who could provide me with help on how to package plugins for
> The GIMP?
>
> #1: Would I install the plugins using gimptool --install-admin-bin
>     after compiling it (with proper path-overrides to get the files in
>     $(CURDIR)/debian/<plugindir>/), or would it be better copy the
>     plugins to the approriate place?

A recent gimptool should include my DESTDIR patch, so you can do

DESTDIR=$(CURDIR)/debian/install $(GIMPTOOL) --install-admin-bin ...

However, for various (libtool) reasons, I now use this home-brewed
autoconf macro (s/STP/yourprefix/g before using it!):

## ---------------- ##
## gimptool support ##
## ---------------- ##

# STP_GIMP_PLUG_IN_DIR
# --------------------
# Locate the GIMP plugin directory using libtool
AC_DEFUN([STP_GIMP_PLUG_IN_DIR],
[dnl Extract directory using --dry-run and sed
if test x${BUILD_GIMP} = xyes ; then
  AC_MSG_CHECKING([for GIMP plug-in directory])
# create temporary "plug-in" to install
  touch print
  chmod 755 print
  GIMPTOOL_OUTPUT=`$GIMPTOOL --dry-run --install-${PLUG_IN_PATH} print`
  rm -f print
  gimp_plug_indir=`echo "$GIMPTOOL_OUTPUT" | sed -e 's/.* \(.*\)\/print/\1/'`
  AC_MSG_RESULT([$gimp_plug_indir])
else
  gimp_plug_indir="$libdir/gimp/1.2/plug-ins"
fi
])

Now you can AC_SUBST(gimp_plug_indir), and use this with automake:

gimp_plug_in_PROGRAMS = myplugin

myplugin_SOURCES = \
        foo.c \
        bar.c

myplugin_LDADD = $(GIMP_LIBS)

This will only be of use if you're happy hacking the build scripts,
though, or are using autoconf/make

> #2: Where should the plugins go (They are binary plugins, not scripts)?

/usr/lib/gimp/1.2/plug-ins

(for gimp1.2, but gimptool will know this--make sure you Build-Depend
on libgimp1.2-dev to get the right gimptool)

> #3: I have a palette file I want to install together with these
>     plugins; where should that file go?

/usr/share/gimp/1.2/palettes

gimptool doesn't appear to deal with these, though.

> #4: I know I had a fourth question, but since I can't for my life
>     remember what it was... Well. Let's not dwell on it, shall we.

OK ;-)

I'd suggest "gimp1.2-foobar" as the package name, so it's the same as
the existing gimp1.2 packages.

The gimp1.2 maintainer, Ben Gertzfield <che@debian.org>, is probably
more knowledgeable than me about this, but feel free to contact me
with any other questions.

HTH,
Roger

--
Roger Leigh

                GPG Public Key: 0x25BFB848 available on public keyservers